Saturday 3 March 2012

Interview with journalist Hasan Suroor about Dow Chemical

Hasan Suroor, who is the journalist on the “The Hindu” newspaper, told me about his idea and aspect of Dow Chemical as an Indian Journalist.


-  What do you think about Indian people's reaction to Dow Chemical as an Indian journalist?

Hasan Suroor: Sitting here, I am not sure how widespread the protests in India. My own sense is that they are led essentially by human rights groups. Others have simply joined in because it would seem politically incorrect to be seen to be backing Dow Chemical. The fact that neither individual Indian athletes nor the Indian Olympics authorities have threatened a boycott speaks for itself.


-  If Dow Chemical sponsorship were to continue, how do you think it would affect the reputation of the Olympics? Bad publicity etc.

Hasan Suroor: I do not think there will be any long-term damage to the reputation of the Olympics. It will be soon forgotten.

-  How would the people and athletes of India react if Dow Chemical sponsorship went ahead?

Hasan Suroor: I think I am going to give same answer. As I said before I don't think there will be any long-term damage to the reputation of the Olympics. It will be soon forgotten.

-  Do you think the bad publicity will affect the Indian athlete’s performance at the Olympics?

Hasan Suroor: Not really.

-  How will the cancelled Dow Chemical sponsorship affect the Indian economy during the Olympics?

Hasan Suroor: There's no prospect of the sponsorship being cancelled.

-  As Indian reporters, generally how do you feel about the situation? And what is the general feeling within the Indian community?

Hasan Suroor: I have not spoken to anyone in the Indian community about this but I do not think many really care. Birmingham has a large Indian population. Might be a good idea to talk to them. My own view is that the issue need to be highlighted; and that's done. No point pressing it further.

1 comment:

  1. One of the problems with an email interview (which I'm guessing this is) is the short answers, so you need to replace the Q&A style for a more flowing one. You also need to press him on some answers for more details - why's that? Can you give me an example? Etc.

    If your next interviewee is not in India, try to speak to them on the phone or in person - you'll get a better interview.

    ReplyDelete